Martin Luther Lutheran Church was founded in 1918 in the Belmont neighborhood of Chicago as a member of the Wartburg Synod of the United Lutheran Church in America.
Aided by the Home Mission Board of the Wartburg Synod and by Rev. Johannes Traeger, the congregation was organized on March 17, 1918. Purchasing lots at the corner of New England Avenue and Addison Street, a portable wood chapel was built (picture above).
After the wood chapel was damaged in a windstorm in 1926, the congregation built a brick bungalow church, which was dedicated Feb 27, 1927.
A third building was constructed in 1959 and 1960, with the "Service of Entry" taking place on June 5, 1960, as pictured on our main page. We welcome everyone to attend our services or just drop by to say hello. Our coffee hour is at 11:15am directly after the 10:00am Sunday services.